Independent insurance agents, unlike insurance agents employed by a large national insurance provider, have access to many insurance companies. Agents who work for a big insurer can only offer you insurance plans provided by their company.
Independent insurance agents, however, work for you, and they have access to many different insurance companies. They can help you shop comparatively for insurance that address your coverage and budget needs.
Pros of Working with Independent Insurance Agents
- Members of Your Community Who Care. Independent insurance agents are, for the most part, members of your own community. They are small-business owners or they are employed at a small, independent insurance agency. They depend on word of mouth, for the most part, so they offer a high level of personal customer service.
- Price Shop for You. Independent insurance agents will take the time to get to know you and your personal situation so they can best represent your interests when seeking insurance quotes on your behalf. They will make an effort to understand your driving record, insurance coverage history, marital status and other personal information that they will use to represent your application to the insurance providers with whom they work.
- You Are Not a Number. With an independent insurance agent, you are not dealing with a telephone team that changes each time you call. You are more than a file to most of them. They take your business personally and return phone calls and emails promptly.
- Help with Claims. Independent insurance providers can provide a helping hand when you need to file a claim. They advocate for you if you are involved in a car accident and need to file a claim. They will help you deal with the claims adjuster, offer support through the claims process and help you deal with the insurance company.
- Fulfill All Your Insurance Needs. Independent insurance providers often offer a wide range of products to their customers, serving as a one-stop shop for everything from car insurance to business liability insurance to homeowners’ insurance.
- Periodic Policy Review. As your needs change, they will help you adjust your insurance accordingly. They also periodically can review your insurance policy to see if it is still serving your coverage needs.
Cons of Independent Insurance Agents
While all independent insurance agents are licensed professionals, just as in any profession, there can be bad apples. But it’s rare to find an agent whose primary motivation isn’t helping customers get the insurance protection they need. You can check your local Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce or online review sites to learn more about the independent insurance agent you are considering.
Ask an Independent Insurance Agent to Review Your Policies Today
It costs you nothing to meet with an independent insurance agent who can review your insurance policies to make sure you have the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Contact The Andrew Agency today for a free, no-obligation review.