The rules have changed for health insurance under Obamacare. Effective January 1, 2014, individuals in Virginia can only purchase health insurance during the open enrollment period. There are exceptions to this rule which are considered “qualifying events”. Lets review what is considered qualifying events for Obamacare in Virginia.
List of Qualifying Events
- Change in legal marital status, including marriage, death of a spouse, divorce, legal separation and annulment.
- A change in the number of dependents, including birth, death, adoption, and placement for adoption.
- A Change in employment status of the employee, or the employee’s or retiree’s spouse or dependent, including termination or commencement of employment, a strike or lockout, a commencement of or return from an unpaid leave of absence, a change in worksite, and a change in working conditions
- A dependent ceasing to satisfy eligibility requirements for coverage due to attainment of age, student status, marital status, or other similar circumstances.
- A change in place of residence of the employee, retiree or their spouse or dependent and the current carrier is not available.
- Significant cost or coverage changes (including coverage curtailment and the addition of a benefit package).
- Family Medical Leave Act.
- Judgments, decrees or orders.
- A change in coverage of a spouse or dependent under another employer’s plan.
- Open enrollment under the plan of another employer.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) special enrollment rights for new dependents and in the case of loss of other insurance coverage.
- A COBRA-qualifying event.
- Loss of coverage under the group health plan of a governmental or education institution (a state’s children’s health insurance program, medical care program of an Indian tribal government, state health benefits risk pool, or foreign government group health plan).
- Entitlement to Medicare or Medicaid.
- Any other situations in which the group health or dental plan is required by the applicable federal or state law to allow a change in coverage.
The Andrew Agency
If you live in Virginia and need help with health insurance contact The Andrew Agency at (804) 320-2886.